Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Two more for Magic


This one is called "Loxodon Partisan" This one was a lot of fun, and although I'm very happy with how the painting turned out, there is one thing I would change. When the image is reduced to card size, the strange dog like creatures the elephant headed loxodon is fighting are lost in the background. Maybe a more cropped composition, or at least some fog or something might have helped.
Oil on paper on board , 12" x 16".



This is "Quilled Slagworm". An enormous, copper plated worm, with quills and hair. When Gina would look at this one on the easel and say "eew, gross", I took it as a sign I was on the right track.

For reference, I made a model. Most models I make are not this elaborate-a relative term when you see the ones James Gurney makes. It's made out of sculpey, copper sheers, and plastic bristles from a broom. Regardless of the quality of the model, there's almost always information that can be gleaned proves useful.

Most times I make a model, it's done exclusively for lighting. This time, however, in addition to the lighting, I got some useful information about color, texture, and reflections. The ground is aluminum foil spray painted black. Originally I intended to paint it completely black, but I liked the way the spray paint collected in the crevices of the crumpled foil, letting metal show on more elevated areas. For something that is supposed to exist on a world literally made of metal, I thought this was an interesting surface I couldn't have made up on my own.
Oil on paper on board, 12" x 16".

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that worm is amazing. It's got so much movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it IS gross! But in a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Centipedes totally gross me out, so the idea of this beast kinda gives me the chills. That model really helped to make this piece sing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great! I remember seeing the centipede thing when I was in Seattle - exquisite!!!

    ReplyDelete